Sunday, August 19, 2012

Our Town and Reminiscing

 
I hope you have had a wonderful weekend.

This weekend has been a busy one for us around the house... we're almost finished with our upstairs and I can't wait to share it with you.  Then my husband ripped out our previous styrofoam ceiling in the living room and we put up some plank panels.  In the meantime I thought I'd share a few photos of our little town and the story of how we ended up here.

I'll never forget the first time we drove down this road.  It seems so long ago... we were living in the city and my parents lived across the country.  They were visiting and we went out driving, looking for fun at property for sale that my parents could possibly purchase for retirement years.  We ended up on the outskirts of this little town and found the perfect acreage for sale.
I know my husband and I never imagined we would end up here, but I do know I was absolutely charmed by this little old fashioned town and gaped at all the farmhouses as we drove by.    
 
That was seven years ago.  We didn't have any kids, my family all lived hundreds of miles away, we had different jobs, in different stages of life...  How life changes.  
The first time we drove by what would now be our house (a glimpse above), it was for sale.  I thought it was cute but a little small.  Little did I know (smile)! 

As it happened, my parents ended up buying the land that was for sale.  Two and a half years ago, on a brief visit to make sure all was well with their land, we saw this house was on the market again.  On a whim we scheduled an appointment for a viewing and it was love at first sight.  The only way I can describe the feeling as I walked in the front door, was that it was home. 
We hoped but doubted that it would work out.  But we prayed about it and decided to put our house up for sale.  The day before we put it on the market, it sold. 
I love all the old houses here... they are so southern with their front porches.  They range in age... ours is 80 years old and I think the oldest is 130 years old.  A few are no longer lived in, but are still well maintained.
This is our neighbor's house... a Sears home that came in parts on the old railroad years ago.   The stone fence is even older than this home... the original home burned down.
There are a few barns around, some old and some new.
Green grass, corn stalks, hay bales, cows grazing... these are all familiar sights here in the summer.
I told you about this old church a while back.  This is our neighbor on the other side... this church was established back in  1876.  You can see a glimpse of our house in between the church and the church home.
There's also an old railroad station down the road.  At one time this was a booming town!  Unfortunately the station isn't maintained and believe me, it is full of treasures.  (I actually called the owner a couple months ago to see if he would sell me some of the treasures inside... I'll let you know if he ever does!)
And just a mile down the road is my parents land and their beautiful hilltop home they are in the process of building.  It truly is a blessing to have them nearby... they have been here for over a year now.
Thanks for reading along.  I didn't intend to share so much, but I've had a thankful heart this weekend and I couldn't help but reminisce as I uploaded these photos.  Life has not been perfect, as no life is, but there is always much to be thankful for. Our little house in the country has been a haven for us (my husband likes to call it a headache but I know he says that lovingly) and we're grateful to call this town home.

26 comments:

  1. Andrea, many of the homes and scenes from your town look very similar to ours. But we don't have any hills around here like the one your parents are building their home upon. So glad all of you have found a special "home."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place you have. The country is just lovely- What part of the country are you in? I am so glad that you are so grateful for what you have. That is what my post is about today, too....being happy with what you have-Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story and town. I would love to have a farm house like yours. Hubby thinks I wouldn't like it. He just doesn't know how much I would love one. He isn't going anywhere though and leaving his garage behind. It would be headache to move all that stuff and we hope to have our home paid for before he retires in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story of how your house found you. :@

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma always tells me, "Everything works out the way it is supposed to." Your story helps me believe that she's right. Love all those photos, and glad you've found home. (Isn't that the best feeling?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing part of your story, a piece of your journey :). I so enjoyed the pictures and this post in full. What a lovely town...something I think I'd adore, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your little house and everything that you have done to make it a home:). What a lovely story of how you found it...and how wonderful to have your parents close by. Mine live just 2 miles from us and it is sooo nice!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad you found such a charming place, andrea:) small towns are the best for raising a family-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every house that becomes a home has a story. I loved yours. Thank you for sharing. Getting to know you better makes reading your blog even more of a delight. Also, the reminder to be thankful for our blessings is always good. Have a wonderful week! Oh...I can't wait to see those planked ceilings. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet little town. You must have many pretty views out of each window of your beautiful home. Hopefully your little town will stay as it is. I hope your mom will allow you to reveal alittle of her home. So nice that she will be near by. Love your our pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post of our litle town. Vacation is wonderful, but when I read your post.... I WANNA COME HOME NOW!!!! :-) Miss you guys. xoxoxo ~ Mom ~

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful photos and thoughts of your home and town you and your sweet family live in. Your home looks just picture perfect and I know is filled with enormous love!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely, charming place to raise your family. Such a treasure for your children to have grandparents so close.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful little town just brimming with history! I can see why you love it so very much. Having your parents live near by must be such a blessing. Thanks for sharing such a sweet glimpse of your life with us all! ~ Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some things are meant to be! What a great place you have discovered. You are so lucky to have you parents nearby too!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wouldv'e felt instantly "at home" as well.

    I love it. I love the story...and yes! like someone else said the house that found you.

    Meant to be! Together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a charming town you live in...it is so pretty. I love small towns...we live just outside of the small village that we grew up in. We had moved away many years ago, but it felt so good when we moved back home and we have been home now for 20 years.
    I love the pictures of your home...so beautiful. And it's so great to have family living close to you.
    blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweet story. Everything is so quaint and beautiful and timeless looking. You have no idea how bad this makes me want to move out of this cookie cutter subdivision I'm in. I am thankful but hopefully will be able to have land and room to breathe someday. Your photography is beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the area that you live in! It's so charming and country. I love that you live among older homes that have been well taken care of. It's no wonder why you fell in love with it! Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like a beautiful little town, so full of charm. What a great place for your children to grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Andrea,
    Your pictures are beautiful!!! Looks like a fun place to share with your family:). I wanted to let you know you won the giveaway on my blog!!!!!YOu will love it! I am off to find your email on your site.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a precious story.

    ...and I'm thankful you shared it.

    Along with so many lovely photos. A quaint little town indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty pictures of your little town and thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a charming, beautiful little town. I'm in love!

    Becky 'tired of sage brush' Anderson OY)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love where you live - it looks so peaceful and charming!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for sharing. Yours is a beautiful life.

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign