Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year Construction

I hope you had a happy holiday season!  We had a wonderful Christmas.  The majority of our holiday was spent with family and friends, some that we don't get to see very often.  It was so nice, and yet also very busy, and sadly I didn't take any photos (if you can believe that)!  

The last of our company left on New Year's Day, and as Justus had a four day weekend, he didn't waste any time getting started on our upstairs bathroom project!  So I may not have any Christmas photos to share, but I do have some very ugly demo photos.  ;-)


 We've had this project on our to-do list for a couple years now, but it kept getting pushed back because it's a massive project and basically puts our upstairs out of commission for at least a couple months.  As usual, we'll be doing the work ourselves, although my dad is helping with the beginning stages (he's an Engineer and also has plumbing and electrical knowledge/experience), which helps tremendously.

The bathroom location involves about 3.5' into one of the upstairs bedrooms and another 3.5' or so into the eaves, so some of the ceiling will be slanted.  This was the best location, not only because of great access to the eaves, but also because it sits just about above the downstairs bathroom, which will obviously help when it comes to plumbing.   

In the photo above, the wood floors were cut out  and the wood paneling previous owners had put up was removed to reveal the original bead board.  (Oh look, more wallpaper to remove!) 


 There was quite a bit of discussion planning this past weekend.  (And a lot of laughter too... particularly when I was attempting to take a nap downstairs and there was some very loud hammering going on... not that I was complaining!) 


 The ceiling was cut out and the framing was started... this is the next step before plumbing.  I was pleasantly surprised to see how roomy the bathroom will be, as I had envisioned a room much smaller.  There will only be a shower, and it will be located in the corner closest to me here.  Fortunately, the bedrooms in our house are quite spacious, so this bedroom will still be a fairly good size, even after cutting into it like this. 


 And here's where we are now with the framing close to being finished. 


 We're planning to expose the chimney in the bathroom wall... I love the old brick.  This also provides a little corner for some storage. 


 We'll be exposing part of the ceiling (the slanted area in the eaves).  Unfortunately, we won't be able to expose the beams in the other half, as they were not anywhere close to being level. I imagine I'll leave the beams in their natural state (after prettying them up, of course) and paint the wood in between.  The walls will all be bead board painted white to match the rest of the upstairs. 


Look at this wood - isn't it gorgeous?! 


The door into the bathroom will be here on this wall, and it will be a barn door on a track (fun!).  Right now I'm busy trying to pick everything out, from shower doors to a sink, as we need to get it all ordered.  It's so exciting!  I can hardly imagine how nice it will be to have a bathroom upstairs.  Along the way (after the bathroom has a floor and walls - ha), I'll be removing wallpaper in the bedroom pictured and remodeling it a little.  Justus and I are also throwing around the idea of having our floors professionally refinished upstairs when everything is said and done.  (When Justus asked me what I thought, I nearly passed out with relief!  I think we've learned the hard way that some DIY projects are worth it and some are not!) 

Anyway, enough rambling, I'll keep you posted on the progress as it will be a while before it's finished!   

(And just in case you have some time to spare, here's a link to my Pinterest page where I've posted some really beautiful bathrooms that have inspired me!)

16 comments:

  1. Just curious, but how does one lock a barn door? I've seen lots of pretty pictures of those doors on pantries or offices, but the whole locking feature escapes me for a bathroom door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are latch kits available. When we get ours installed I'll do a post on the details! :-)

      Delete
    2. I didn't know that! I am looking forward to that post :)

      Delete
  2. It will be a beautiful bath I'm sure. Things just have to get so messy before the good part starts, doesn't it? Love the brick wall.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you had a nice Christmas with family and friends. I'm very excited about the bathroom upstairs. It'll be so convenient. Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always excited at the demolition stage. Love to hear those walls coming down! Of course, I'm not as happy with the reality of the middle part but the final stage is exciting all over again. Nice start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh exciting. every project you guys tackle turns out amazing. this will be no different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is going to look amazing Andrea!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your upstairs bathroom will be worth all the hard work, can't wait to see it! Leaving the brick exposed is a great idea. I'm always excited to see your posts!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure you are over the moon excited about the commencement of your bathroom project....and you have the fun part in choosing the fixtures and details...I am sure that in the end it will be well worth the work and inconvenience....Looking forward to seeing the progress and those barn doors sound great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will definitely check out your PInterest board. A barn door - so awesome!!! Love that you are giving new life back to an old home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree it will be worth all of the hard work! I think a barn door will look great. Sounds like you have lots of wonderful ideas for that area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always enjoy your blog - have it in my favorites! Appreciate your simple and lovely decorating and inviting country home. Like your bathroom pins on your Pinterest page too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is going to be amazing no doubt! I bet you are so excited! Cant wait to see it!!! Happy New year friend, xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. You lucky girl, that is going to be a gorgeous bathroom! When I saw that brick, I just sighed and hoped to myself that you were going to leave it exposed…I see we think alike! Love the exposed rafters too! Can't wait to see how it all comes together!

    Hope your new year is off to a wonderful start! xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's going to look wonderful! I can't wait to see all finished.
    Domestic cleaning Sidcup

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign